Uzi's Blogs

Things I learn, observe and try out

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Fedora Core 4 experience

Today I finally managed to install Fedore Core 4 on my office laptop. When I first logged in, every thing seems same as it was in Fedore Core 3 (except the new default theme Clearlooks), the top panel, the bottom panel and the default background. However, upon closer inspection I have found out that they have introduce two new menus besides Applications; Places and Desktop.

Desktop now contains Preferences and System settings sub-menus and it allows you to lock the screen and logout as well.

Places contains shortcuts to Home, Desktop, Computer, Connect to Server..., and Search for Files. Out of these the "Connect to Server..." is preety useful. It allows you to connect to SSH, FTP, Windows Share, Web Dev etc. from one single dialog box.

They have also bundled several useful tools in Fedora Core 4, the one I like best is Native Eclipse 3.1.

They are getting better day by day ... and convincing me more and more to minimize the usage of Windoze and increase the usage of Linux in daily course of business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home